Azure AD premium is an identity and access management service for the larger, more demanding enterprises.
For those who don’t know Azure AD, this is the AD behind cloud services like Office 365, CRM Online, Windows Intune etc.
One of the things we encountered was the inability to reset passwords when using Dirsync with Password sync. This could only be achieved with additional configuration using 3rd party tools. Azure AD premium allows users to reset their passwords and fills in those gaps.
It is also nice to be able to brand the sign in experience that end users see when they sign on or use their Access panel.
Multi factor authentication is also introduced, which can be easily setup without deploying new software in your local network.
Below a complete list of added features in Azure AD Premium quoted from Microsoft.
“Active Directory Premium edition is a paid offering of Azure AD and includes the following features:
- Company branding – To make the end user experience even better, you can add your company logo and color schemes to your organization’s Sign In and Access Panel pages. Once you’ve added your logo, you also have the option to add localized versions of the logo for different languages and locales.For more information, see Add company branding to your Sign In and Access Panel pages.
- Group-based application access – Use groups to provision users and assign user access in bulk to over 1200 SaaS applications. These groups can either be created solely in the cloud or you can leverage existing groups that have been synced in from your on-premises Active Directory. For more information, see Assign access for a group to a SaaS application.
- Self-service password reset – Azure has always provided self-service password reset for directory administrators. With Azure AD Premium, you can now further reduce helpdesk calls whenever your users forget their password by giving all users in your directory the capability to reset their password using the same sign in experience they have for Office 365. For more information, see Enable self-service password reset for users.
- Self-service group management - Azure AD Premium simplifies day-to-day administration of groups by enabling users to create groups, request access to other groups, delegate group ownership so others can approve requests and maintain their group’s memberships. For more information, see Enable self-service group management for users.
- Advanced security reports and alerts – Monitor and protect access to your cloud applications by viewing detailed logs showing more advanced anomalies and inconsistent access pattern reports. Advanced reports are machine learning-based and can help you gain new insights to improve access security and respond to potential threats. For more information, see View your access and usage reports.
- Multi-Factor Authentication - Multi-Factor Authentication is now included with Premium and can help you to secure access to Azure, Microsoft Online Services like Office 365 and Dynamics CRM Online, and over 1200 Non-MS Cloud services preintegrated with Azure AD. Simply enable Multi-Factor Authentication for Azure AD identities, and users will be prompted to set up additional verification the next time they sign in. For more information, see Adding Multi-Factor Authentication to Azure Active Directory.
- Forefront Identity Manger (FIM) - Premium comes with the option to grant rights to use a FIM server (and CALs) in your on-premises network to support any combination of Hybrid Identity solutions. This is a great option if you have a variation of on-premises directories and databases that you want to sync directly to Azure AD. There is no limit on the number of FIM servers you can use, however, FIM CALs are granted based on the allocation of an Azure AD premium user license. For more information, see Deploy FIM 2010 R2.
- Enterprise SLA of 99.9% - We guarantee at least 99.9% availability of the Azure Active Directory Premium service. For more information, see Active Directory Premium SLA”
For a comparison between the Free Azure AD and the Premium just click the below image.