woensdag 16 mei 2012

Exchange EMC / EMS Kerberos Authentication Failed

Yesterday we suddenly had issues with opening the Exchange EMC of EMS on one of our Exchange servers.

The exact error is shown below:

“The attempt to connect to http://serverfqdn/powershell using “kerberos” authentication failed: Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The WinRM client cannot process the request. It cannot determine the content type of the HTTP response from the destination computer. The content type is absent or invalid.”

dthe%20content%20type%20is%20absent%20or%20invalid

Googling this error did not find a proper solution for me.
But, it had something to do with WinRM.
There  is a application log specifically for WinRM.

Wortell - visionapp Remote Desktop 2009_10

Wortell - visionapp Remote Desktop 2009_9

Within the eventlog I found the error below:
”WSMan operation Invoke failed, error code 2150858999

This error found me a solution!
Changing the values of the MaxResuestBytes en MaxFieldLength registry keys did the trick.
The max value for MaxFieldLength is 65534 ( decimal ) and the max value for MaxRequestBytes is 40000 ( decimal ).
In my case the MaxFieldLength was already set to the maximum, but the MaxRequestBytes was set to 20000.
I changed this value to 40000 and rebooted the server, afterwards I could access the EMC / EMS without any issues.

Wortell - visionapp Remote Desktop 2009_8

7 opmerkingen:

  1. Hi,

    Thanks for sharing this post. I was also facing the same problem and did the same as you have suggested here in the post. I have increased the MaxFieldLength 20000 to 50000 and restart the system. To my surprise I have overcome this problem now. I am happy to share it is working fine.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Hi, That is great news! Glad it worked out for you!
      Regards, Harm-Jan

      Verwijderen
  2. Hi,

    I have added the registry keys, they aren't there. After rebooting the server i got the same error message.

    Do you know what it can be else?

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. Nope, this was the solution for me, but the keys weren't there anymore after reboot? They should be...

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. Thanks ! it worked , but after restart it again it failed again, then i rebooted again and worked back, don't know why is doing this.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Het kan ook nog liggen aan de applicatie pool "MSExchangePowerShellAppPool"
    The identity moet zijn "Local System".
    Bij de Best Practice analyzer zegt dat dit "application pool identities" moet zijn, maar als je dit doet krijg je het bovestaand probleem.
    Dus terug zetten en klaar is het dan weer.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  6. After patch update we noticed several services were disabled. This included the service World Wide web Publishing Service. After enablening problem solved.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen